HMRC A1 Form


The HMRC A1 form is an important document for individuals and businesses operating internationally. It is used to determine the social security coverage applicable to employees working temporarily in another country while remaining subject to the social security system of their home country. 

This article provides a series of questions and answers to shed light on the HMRC A1 form and its significance in international employment situations.

What is the HMRC A1 form?

The HMRC A1 form, also known as the Certificate of Coverage, its a document issued by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) in the UK. It certifies that an employee or self-employed person will remain subject to the UK’s National Insurance (NI) contributions system while working temporarily in another country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Why is the HMRC A1 form important?

The HMRC A1 form is critical in determining social security coverage for those working temporarily overseas. It guarantees that employees continue to make National Insurance contributions in their home country and helps to avoid duplicating social security contributions in both the home and host country.

Who needs to complete the HMRC A1 form?

Employees or self-employed persons who are transferred to work temporarily in another EEA nation or Switzerland while remaining employed or self-employed in the UK often need to complete the HMRC A1 form. The social security coverage applicable for the temporary employment period must be established.

Also read: CA3916 Statement

Who needs to complete the HMRC A1 form

How does the HMRC A1 form work?

To get an HMRC A1 form, the employer or self-employed person must fill out the appropriate information about the individual’s job, duration of work overseas, and other pertinent information. The paperwork is then sent to HMRC, which determines eligibility and produces the certificate confirming continued UK social security coverage or National Insurance coverage.

How long is the HMRC A1 form valid?

The HMRC A1 form’s validity is determined by unique circumstances. It is generally valid for up to 24 months from the commencement date specified in the form. However, if the temporary labor time exceeds the intended duration, it may be extended in specific instances.

Can the HMRC A1 form be used for non-EEA countries?

No, the HMRC A1 form is applicable only for countries within the EEA or Switzerland. For temporary work assignments in non-EEA countries, individuals and employers need to adhere to the social security rules and agreements specific to those countries. For more details on this please contact HMRC or email us with your details.

Can the HMRC A1 form be used for non-EEA countries

What are the implications of not having an HMRC A1 form?

Failing to obtain an HMRC A1 form when required may result in individuals or self-employed persons being subject to the social security system of the host country, leading to potential dual social security contributions and complications in accessing social security benefits.


The HMRC A1 form is essential for those working temporarily in another EEA nation or Switzerland while still receiving social security benefits in the UK. Employees and self-employed persons can secure the right assessment of social security responsibilities and prevent avoidable issues during their temporary work assignments abroad by completing and submitting the form. It is critical to communicate with HMRC or seek expert assistance in each circumstance to understand the precise rules and processes associated with the HMRC A1 form.

DISCLAIMER: We have written the UK accounting and tax related details for your information only. For professional advice or for any accounting task you require, you may need to speak to a professional accountant near you who can assist you. Please read our disclaimer for more details.